Parenting the Smart Gilas Way

I love this story of how David came to be anointed as king over Israel.
For the sake of keeping this post short (and getting to my point sooner), let me summarize and highlight the main verses that struck me as I was reading through this passage.
Here’s the summary:
Israel asked the prophet Samuel for a king –> Samuel anointed Saul as king –> Saul started out well, but eventually, his power got into his head and he dishonored God –> God rejected Saul as king and told Samuel to anoint another man whom God has chosen –> Samuel went to Jesse (the father of David) to bring his sons to him, so he could anoint the one God has chosen.
When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, “Surely, the Lord’s anointed stands here before the Lord.” But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. ” (1 Samuel 16:7)
(Fast forward a few verses)
Jesse had seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, “the Lord has not chosen these.” So he asked Jesse, “Are these all the sons you have?” “There is still the youngest,” Jesse answered, “but he is tending the sheep.” 
Long story short, Jesse sent for David –> God told Samuel, “He’s the one.” –> Samuel anointed David.
(Verse 13) So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power.
marc-pingrisI’m sure many of us have read or heard this story a couple of times already, and perhaps many of us are also well familiar with verse seven– “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 
I know this. I’ve known this since I was a child attending Sunday School or Kids Church.
But somehow, it is not that easy to apply– especially when it comes to people who are very dear to my heart.
I am talking more specifically about my children.
“Do not consider his/her appearance…”
How often do I react to the childish behavior that I see in them, in a way that I would later on regret?
How much of my effort goes into getting into their hearts and drawing out their deepest thoughts versus trying to get them to behave or act according to what is praiseworthy by society’s standards?
“The Lord does not look at the things man looks at…”
What does man look at?
“Man looks at the outward appearance.”
Performance.
Grades.
Achievements.
Talent.
Manners.
Clothes.
Cuteness level.
Financial status.
Family background.
Connections.
Fame.
Power.
The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.
“The Lord looks at the heart.”
When they try to perform and achieve and excel, what is their motivation?
When they study and try to improve on their skills, who do they depend on and look to for help?
When it comes to how they treat other people, why do they think manners matter?
When they fight, what is going on in their hearts?
When they try to look nice and dress well, who are they doing it for?
When it comes to their finances, family, and friends— do they know these are not their sources of identity and security?
What is the heart behind their actions?
smart gilas puso thammiesy.com
I find that whenever I move in worry and fear each time I see them “not yet getting” whatever it is I am trying to teach them, I start focusing on what I see instead of asking what is the heart behind all that I am seeing.
More than that, I forget to ask for God’s heart and ask Him about what He is doing beyond all that I am seeing.
May we all be reminded to always look beyond what is seen, and trust that God is really at work in the hearts of our children.
I love what it says in verse 13 when Samuel anointed David– “…from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came upon David in power…”
When we begin to get into the hearts of our children, we begin to see God’s heart for them.
And we begin to see God’s work in them.
And we begin to see God’s power through them.

Comments

Popular Posts